31st anniversary of Mizo peace accord celebrated

Aizawl
30 Jun 2017

The 31st anniversary of the signing of the historic Mizo peace accord between the Union government and the erstwhile underground Mizo National Front (MNF) was celebrated today in Mizoram.
All government offices and educational institutions remained close as the day was declared as a public holiday. Though no official function was organised by the state government, the opposition MNF organised meetings in different parts of the state. A press statement issued by the Peace Accord MNF Returnee Association (PAMRA) said that of the 572 MNF cadres who came overground due to the accord, 150 people have died since 1986 till date. The Mizo Accord was signed on June 30, 1986 ushering in an era of peace after 20 years of violence and disturbance in the state. Meanwhile, Mizoram unit of BJP has submitted a memorandum to state Governor Lt Gen (Retd) Nirbhay Sharma urging him to dissolve the Congress-ruled Chakma Autonomous District Council (CADC), a press statement issued by the party today said.
The statement said that the BJP state unit leaders submitted the memorandum to Sharma yesterday saying that there had been a constitutional crisis in the CADC after resignation of six executive members which was a clear case of no confidence against the executive council headed by chief executive member (CEM) Tongchongyia. The BJP also alleged that the Congress government in the CADC was "corruption ridden and failed" in many fronts. (PTI)