Missing woman's body found buried in boyfriend's house in Bhopal

3 Feb 2017

The body of a woman, who was supposed to have left for the US in June last year, was found buried in the house of her boyfriend in Bhopal whom she had met through social media, a month after her parents lost contact with her, police said today.

Akansha Sharma (28) was reported missing by her parents following which police tracked her to Bhopal. During a search yesterday, they found her body buried in a kitchen in the house of Udayan Das, a resident of Saket Nagar, superintendent of police, Bankura, Sukhendu Hira said. The woman's father Shibendra Sharma had lodged a complaint with the police. He said his daughter was supposed to go to the US via Delhi on June 23, 2016 and had left home on June 22, the SP said.

Akansha was in touch with her parents till December 2016 but later all communications stopped. As a result he lodged a complaint with police on January 5, the Bankura SP said. The officers of Bankura Police started looking for Akansha and finally tracked her to Bhopal following which a team went to the city on February 1. During investigation the police found out that Akansha had met Udayan through a social media website. According to police, Udayan claimed that he first met Akanksha in 2007 and remained in contact with her on a social networking site.

He later changed his version, stating that the victim came to live with him in Bhopal after they became friends on Facebook last year, the officer said, adding that Udayan had a lavish lifestyle and used to travel in expensive cars. "We have been verifying details. He would be produced in a court today," the police officer said. Akanksha's father claimed that his daughter had left home in June 2016 on the pretext of looking for a job. She was in touch with her parents over phone until December last year but since then remained in contact only through text messages. She told her parents in a message that she was working in the US. Suspecting her activities, the family traced the phone number through which she used to text and found that the number was registered on an address in Saket Nagar here.

Later, they lodged a complaint with Bankura police on January 5. The West Bengal Police kept an eye on Udayan's phone records and detained him after reaching Bhopal on Thursday. He then spilled the beans during interrogation. Police said based on Udayan's admission, they started digging the marble platform at his house and recovered the body this morning.