Elephant electrocuted

Coimbatore
18 Oct 2017

In a freak incident, a 30-year old-elephant got electrocuted while trying to pull down a betel nut tree, which was in contact with a live wire, near Mettupalayam in the district, police said today. The incident occurred when the animal strayed into a turmeric farm on Tuesday and tried to enter a banana farm, they said. In its attempt, the pachyderm pulled down an areca nut tree, which was in contact two high tension wires and got electrocuted, they added. Investigation is on, police said.