Jat stir: SP, DSP among 9 policemen hurt in clash, 2 buses torched

March towards Delhi called off
Report by: 
Fatehabad (Har)
19 Mar 2017

A Superintendent of Police and a DSP were among nine policemen injured today when Jat protesters clashed with them on being prevented from marching toward Delhi. The protesters also set fire to two police buses during the clash that took place in Dhani Gopal village on Sirsa-Hisar-Delhi national highway. The situation turned tense when Jat protesters from villages of Chamarkhera and Kheri of Hisar district tried to enter Fatehabad district to join dharna at Dhani Gopal. Tractor trolleys carrying Jat protesters tried to breach police barricades. DSP Gurdial Singh, who was deputed at the barrier, requested them to go on foot and join the dharna peacefully but the protesters did not relent, police said. Later, some miscreants pelted the police party with stones. Retaliating, policemen resorted to lathicharge. A Jat leader claimed police lobbed tear gas shells and tried to disperse them when they were marching in a peaceful manner. A few protesters were injured in the incident, he claimed. Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar held talks with the Jat leaders in Delhi today, in a bid to end the community's 50-day long quota stir. The talks were held ahead of the Jat community's plans to gherao Parliament tomorrow in support of their demands. Prohibitory orders under Section 144 of CrPC had been earlier imposed and internet services suspended in many sensitive districts of Haryana including in Rohtak, Jhajjar, Sonepat and Kaithal. The All-India Jat Aarkashan Sangarsh Samiti, the body spearheading the ongoing quota stir which entered its 50th day today, had earlier threatened that it would lay siege to the national capital tomorrow after which security forces were put on high alert in several districts including those bordering Delhi. Notably, a complete ban on the movement of tractor trolleys on highways and roads in sensitive districts was earlier imposed by the authorities. Violence during the agitation last year had left 30 people dead and government and private property worth hundreds of crores of rupees was damaged. Earlier, Haryana chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar today held talks with the agitating Jat leaders from the state on the quota issue ahead of their planned march to Parliament in the national capital, where massive security arrangements have been made by authorities. Before meeting Khattar here, All India Jat Aarakshan Sangharsh Samiti (AIJASS) Chaiperson Yashpal Malik said that their protest will be peaceful and they will decide their next course of action after the talks. "The protests will be peaceful. For 50 days our protests were peaceful. We have made seven demands and we are here to meet the CM and others with a positive frame of mind. "We believe that talks will provide solution to the issues... but we will decide our future course of action based on the outcome of the meeting," Malik told reporters here. "If we reach agreement on all issues, I will inform you," he said on whether they will suspend the agitation. Malik was accompanied by a group of 60-70 representatives of various khaps (sub-sects) of the Jat community. Besides Khattar, Union Cabinet Minister Birender Singh was among those present in the meeting. In view of the planned march tomorrow, prohibitory orders have been clamped in Delhi, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan to stop Jat protesters from entering Delhi and about 24,700 paramilitary personnel have been mobilies to maintain peace. Metro and road transport has been curtailed and several schools have been closed in the national capital. The AIJASS, which is spearheading the agitation demanding reservations in education and government jobs, has given a call for a march to the national capital to gherao Parliament and to hold dharnas on the Delhi border blocking all highways to press for its demands.