Names of 150.000 people not to be included in final NRC draft: Hajela

Guwahati
5 Jul 2018

The names of around 150,000 people featuring in the first draft of the National Register of Citizens would not be included in the final draft to be published on July 30 as discrepancies were found during the verification process, NRC State Coordinator Prateek Hajela said on Wednesday.
These names would be withdrawn as per the July 2 order of the Supreme Court that is monitoring the updation process of the NRC to identify illegal migrants in Assam, he said.
"Around 1.5 lakh people, whose names were there in the first draft of the NRC, would not be included," Hajela told PTI.
After the publication of its first draft on December 31 last year, the names of 65,694 persons featuring in it were found to be inadmissible during the family tree verification process, he said.
It was also found that the names of another 19,783 persons were included by mistake, the NRC state coordinator said, adding that more such cases might come up during the final quality control checks.
The names of 48,456 married women, who had provided certificates from Gaon Panchayat to prove their citizenship, were also found to be inadmissible.
Every effort is being made to make the NRC error-free and if the name of any Indian is left out, they would get opportunities to file claims and objections, he said.
The names of doubtful (D) voters and those whose cases are going on in the Foreigners Tribunals will not be included in the final draft, Hajela said.
On the 'D' voters, the NRC state coordinator said, "We have not deleted their names but only kept them on hold. If they win the cases in the Foreigners' Tribunals, their names will be included in the NRC later."
Meanwhile, former chief minister Tarun Gogoi while talking to reporters asked, "How is it possible that names of 1.5 lakh foreigners were included in the first draft? Who are the officers responsible for it? It proves that the NRC exercise is not being done properly from the initial stage".
Hajela said he was confident that the final draft of the NRC would be published within the time limit of July 30 set by the Supreme Court.
The apex court on July 2 extended the deadline for publication of the final draft of the NRC from June 30 to July 30 on account of floods in various districts, time consumption in mop-up operations and activities related to database preparation.
Floods in three districts of Cachar, Karimganj and Hailakandi, besides parts of Karbi Anglong and Hojai districts, slowed down the process considerably, Hajela said adding that the NRC officials had also been engaged in flood relief works.
The first draft of the NRC, which is a list of the state's citizens, was published on December 31 midnight as per the top court's direction.
The names of 19 million people out of the 33 million applicants were incorporated in it.
Assam, which had faced influx of people from Bangladesh since the early 20th century, is the only state having an NRC, which was first prepared in 1951. PTI