Jamshedpur artistes not to perform for 10 days to protest Khunti rape

Jamshedpur
23 Jun 2018

Artistes of Jamshedpur today said they would not perform for 10 days in protest against the rape of five women in Khunti district earlier this week. In a memorandum to chief minister Raghuvar Das, the artistes demanded immediate arrest of all the culprits, stringent action against them, and adequate compensation for the rape victims.
The memorandum was sent through East Singhbhum deputy commissioner Amit Kumar by a delegation of artistes from various organisations under the banner of 'Jamshedpur Kalakaar Sangh'. In the memorandum, they described the rape of five women as "heinous and inhuman" and said artistes across the state were shocked by the incident. Five women working with an NGO were allegedly raped at gunpoint by a group of at least five men when they had gone to Kochange village under Arki police station area to create awareness on migration and human trafficking on Tuesday. The artistes demanded that adequate security be provided to them during their performance to ensure that such incidents do not recur, the memorandum said. They also demanded issuance of identity cards to the artistes.
The artistes appealed to their colleagues across the state to protest against the incident in all district headquarters. The artistes of Jamshedpur held a meeting here on Friday and decided not to perform for 10 days.
Artistes from across the state would try to meet the chief minister in Ranchi on June 26 over the incident. Khunti superintendent of police Aswini Kumar Sinha has said an FIR was filed on Thursday against unidentified persons involved in the rape another case was registered against the head of local school where the incident occurred. The police have identified the culprits and eight people were detained in this connection, he said.
Initial investigation has found that the people behind 'Pathalgarhi' (a practice in which villagers inscribe various tenets on huge stone slabs and ban outsiders in their area), were behind the incident, deputy inspector general of police Amol V Homker had said on Friday.
Meanwhile the Odisha government has extended the tenure of the inquiry commission probing the sensational Kunduli rape and suicide case by three more months. The state govenrment had on January 6 constituted the inquiry commission headed by the Koraput district judge to investigate the alleged rape of a minor tribal girl at Kunduli in Koraput district. The victim later committed suicide on January 22.
This is the second time the state government has extended the tenure of the probe commission. The tenure of the probe commission expired on March 25, following which the Home Department on March 26, had extended the commissions tenure by three months. "The state govenrment extends the tenure of the commission of inquiry on Kunduli incident in Koraput district for a further period of three months beyond 25th June, 2018," a communication from the home department said.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik had on November 8 last year ordered a judicial inquiry into the alleged rape of the minor tribal girl in Koraput district. The judicial probe was ordered a day after Odisha Police ruled out possibility of any rape despite the minor girls claim that she was raped by four persons in uniform on October 10. (PTI)