CBI takes possession of Narada footage, other documents

Kolkata
18 Mar 2017

Following the Calcutta High Court's order for a preliminary CBI inquiry into the Narada video tape case, an eight-member CBI team today took possession of the documents and other papers including the lap top used in the sting operation, all video footage and pen drives related to the case that was kept at a locker of High Court branch of State Bank of India.

CBI officials also called Mathew Samuel, CEO of Narada news portal, and requested for his co-operation in the case. The Calcutta High Court had on Friday ordered that the CBI would make a preliminary inquiry into the case and it gave 72 hours to the agency to submit its report. It also ordered the CBI to collect all the documents within 24 hours of passing the verdict. A three-member special investigation team under SP Nagendra Prasad has been formed by the CBI to investigate the case.

Samuel said that since he was at Kochi now the CBI told him they would come over there to talk to him.
Meanwhile the Congress Party took out a rally from Hazra crossing demanding immediate arrest of those accused of taking bribes. The budget session of Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) was disrupted as the Opposition shouted slogans demanding resignation of Mayor Shovon Chattopadhyay who had been purportedly shown on the video taking money.

Meanwhile, in Malda, TMC vice- president Mukul Roy today declined to comment on CBI taking over of the Narada case stating that party chairperson Mamata Banerjee had already spoken on the issue. "Our party chairperson has already talked on this matter. I have nothing to say and I should not say anything breaking our party discipline," the Rajya Sabha member told newspersons here. "I will not utter a single word on the matter," he said. (EOIC)