Century old Malda Club catches fire

MALDA
10 May 2018

A drastic fire caught a section of Malda Club founded in 1902 this afternoon. Although some losses were claimed by the club authorities, no casualty was caused as the main building of the club was almost empty.
“The incident could have taken serious turn if fire was not detected at the right time by one of our club employees Debu Mandal, who happened to be there to collect some items. Many kids and their guardians were at the Swami Vivekananda indoor gymnasium and table-tennis room adjacent to the main building,” said Suranjan Roy, joint secretary of the club.
“We frantically called fire brigade but our calls were not even attended. We just wonder how devastating could the fire be had we not extinguished it initially with instruments available at the club,” Roy added.
Anjan Pal, secretary of the club said, “We are not experts. But we primarily anticipate that the fire was caused by short-circuit. The official computer of the club was completely gutted. Some other furniture and valuable documents and photographs were badly damaged too.”
It may be mentioned Malda Club was founded in 1902. District magistrate is the ex-officio president of the club and SP, Malda is the vice president by virtue of post. Chairman of English Bazaar municipality is also an honorary member of the club’s working committee.
“We would engage experts to detect the cause of the fire and would install better fire-proof system according to experts’ suggestions,” Pal said. (Echo)