Couple dies electrocuted in English Bazaar

Negligence of electricity department blamed by family
Report by: 
EOI CORRESPONDENT
MALDA
12 Jul 2017

A housewife and her husband died being electrocuted at South Baluchar area under English Bazaar police station this morning. Sumita Das, 37 and Gobinda Das, 46 were rescued by locals in an unconscious state and declared brought dead by Malda medical college & hospital (MMCH). The family members of the deceased couple and the inhabitants of the locality blamed the state electricity distribution company for their alleged negligence in mending faulty electricity connections at the locality
It has been learnt from police sources, Sumita along with her husband Gobinda Das came to visit her parents in Malda from Hooghly few days ago. This morning she went to bathroom to collect water from the tap. Jadu Mandan, her father said, “Suddenly we heard her scream. My son-in-law rushed into the bathroom to rescue his wife. But he too started screaming. To our horror we noticed both of them were electrocuted.”
Shouts of the family gathered neighbours who after a prolonged effort rescued the unconscious couple and sent them to MMCH. But both of them had died by then.
Rajkumar Das, Shyamali Mandal and other inhabitants of the locality alleged, electric-connection in most of the houses there were defective. “We drew attention of electricity distribution company employees several times. But they turned deaf ears to our plea. Their carelessness is responsible for the couple’s death,” Das said.
It is anticipated that the main electric wire of the house was exposed to water following incessant rain and the tap installed near the wire caught electricity. When Sumita touched it, she was electrocuted. In a bid to save her, Gobinda Das was electrocuted too.
Mohammed Nasiruddin, an official of WBSEDCL, Malda south division said, “We are probing into the matter. Employees were sent to the spot.”