Narrow escape for students as STS bus goes up in flames

Report by: 
KURMA RAO
Mayabunder
7 Oct 2017

Around 40 students of Mahatma Gandhi Government College here had a miraculous escape after they managed to get out of the STS bus that caught fire near Bathew Point (Wireless Tikrey) on Saturday. According to reports, the bus bearing registration number AN01D0015 with college students was on its way to Rangat from the College campus when the mishap occurred. Fortunately, no one was injured in the accident as the driver of the vehicle, Susheel alerted the students in time to disembark the bus before it was engulfed by flames.
According to reports, the STS bus with students left the college campus at around 2.30 pm. At 3.30 pm, the driver of the bus noticed fire reportedly triggered by an electric short-circuit and stopped the bus at Bathew Point and asked the students to disembark. Personal belonging of some students were damaged in the fire.
Source said that the STS bus was properly checked before leaving from the STS terminus for the college trip. Sudden spark from the engine caused the fire and gutted the vehicle in the accident. The Deputy Commissioner of North and Middle Andaman, Mr Arava Gopi Krishna has reportedly assured to conduct an inquiry into the mishap.