Major fire averted at GBPH Blood Bank

Report by: 
ZEENATH BIBI
Port Blair
18 Jan 2019

A major fire mishap was averted on Friday at the lone referral hospital of these islands, GB Pant Hospital. As per reports, short-circuit in the electrical fittings at the Blood Bank of the hospital was noticed by patients at around 9.40 am today, after which an alarm was raised to the Fire Services. The Fire Brigade team with at least two fire tenders, Water Mist appliance reached the spot and brought the blaze under control.
Sources said that there was temporary panic in Blood Bank due to the smoke. People were rushing out and there in fear of a mishap. Fire fighters used smoke blowers from the Refrigeration Unit of the Bank and managed to bring the situation under control. An audit of fire safety has reportedly been ordered into the incident, said sources.