Thousands participate in funeral procession of youth killed at Chakkargaon

Report by: 
Port Blair
18 Nov 2017

Chaos prevailed in the city for the second consecutive day after the alleged murder of a Teylerabad resident at Chakkargaon here on Friday. While thousands of mourners participated in the funeral procession of the deceased on Saturday after the body was handed over to the family, angry members from the procession reportedly forced passengers of private buses in the city to disembark at Junglighat. Unruly traffic remained the order for the day in different parts of the city during the funeral procession. Clashes among different groups were also reported from the Parking area of Bhatu Basti in the evening.
As per reports, residents of Teylerabad slammed the police authorities for its failure to arrest the main accused in the murder case and shouted slogans during the procession. “It’s absolute failure of the Police which couldn’t arrest the main accused even after more than 24 hours of the brutal murder. Moreover, the police authorities lathi-charged many of us while we were holding a peaceful protest in front of Aberdeen Police Station last night. The Police should intensify the investigation process and arrest the main accused or else similar protests will continue in the days to come,” said some agitators.
In the gruesome incident, a resident of Teylerabad, Shiva Raj Pandian, son of Pandian, aged around 27 years, employed as a bar manager, was attacked by unidentified person(s) at Chakkargaon area on Friday. He was rushed to GB Pant Hospital where he succumbed to serious head injuries at around 3 pm. Agitated villagers of Teylerabad then resorted to chakka jam in the Clock Tower area of Aberdeen bazaar area demanding immediate arrest of the accused. Two village groups of Teylerabad clashed with each other few months back after a local Kabaddi match and in retaliation to the incident, some unidentified person(s) attacked Shiva, while he was riding a motorcycle, with an iron rod causing his death.